Monday, November 24, 2008

Two Tauri

I stopped in Kenny's pawn shop this afternoon to see if the Colt 1903 Hammerless was still around. Regrettably, it had vanished. In it's place was a different rendition of John Moses Browning's gun designs, a blued Taurus PT1911. I didn't want to look too interested, so I asked to see the Taurus P92 that was still gathering dust.

The PT92 is a near copy of the Beretta 92 series of pistol. Some shooters actually prefer the Taurus P92 because the safety is not on the slide. I acted interested in the old Taurus while gazing at the PT1911 past it under the glass. Kenny had the PT1911 tagged at $549. That was too much in my book to pay for that pistol used.

Finally, I asked to take a look at the Brazilian 1911. When I dropped the magazine out, I noted that it was coated with what appeared to be motor oil. I locked back the slide and saw the barrel was coated with the same stuff. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of the PT1911, perhaps this was factory preservative. The barrel hood certainly appeared unblemished. Perhaps this was an unfired pistol. At $549, it should be.

I had to convince myself not to put this gun on lay away. I didn't care for the widely spaced slide serrations. The Hienie straight eight rear sight was not my cup of tea. It appeared to be installed as an afterthought, hanging over the round of the slide. I despised the lock on the hammer. Why make such a part, one that gets slammed around like crazy, delicate with itty bitty internal mechanisms? Unless they did it so the lock/hammer would immediately be swapped out, I have to question that design. The frame had a blocky front strap.

The fitting of the Taurus was excellent for a production gun. No sloppiness what so ever. The checkering on the front strap was nice. I prefer a smooth front strap, but if you like checkering, Taurus did an excellent job on it, unlike Smith & Wesson's clumsy checkering attempt on the SW1911. The checkering underneath the Taurus trigger guard is a nice custom touch, although it will certainly chew up a holster's leather. The trigger itself was very nice. Crisp.

There were enough features in the Taurus PT1911 that I did not care for. I handed the gun back to Kenny. At $549, I could have purchased the pistol new any time, any place. At $449, I might be back............

Michael Bane's PT1911 Review

Shooting Times PT1911 Review

Gun Blast PT1911 Review

B.B. Pelletier's PT1911 Review

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home